Chickpeas are a legume or pulse where one seedpod contains two or three peas. We stock the brown chickpea known as Desi (or Indian) chickpeas.
As a high nitrogen crop chickpeas are often grown by organic farmers in between their wheat crops to restore nitrogen to soil. Conventional farmers would normally restore soil nitrogen through adding urea or other fertilisers.
Chickpeas are one of the earliest cultivated legumes – 5000 year old chickpeas remnants have been found in Jericho and Turkey, while in southern France the remains of wild chickpeas have been carbon dated to around 6800 BCE. It is believed they originates in south eastern Turkey.
They are a rich source of iron, and an excellent source of calcium and molybdenum. They are also high in manganese, folate, copper and phosphorus. Chick peas make an ideal complete protein meal especially when combined with grains like brown rice.
The darker-colored “desi-type” chickpea (our chickpea splits) may have greater concentrations of antioxidants than the larger and more regularly shaped cream-colored chickpeas.
Recent studies have shown that chickpea fibre can be metabolised by bacteria in the colon to produce relatively large amounts of short chain fatty acids (SCFAs), including acetic, propionic, and butyric acid.
- Mung Bean MagicI couldn’t resist a title like that – even though many people may consider mung beans a .. Read more
- Chickpeas – so much more than a one-hit wonder!Of all the legumes, chick peas are the tastiest, and they adapt to variety of dishes. You can tell t .. Read more
- Ancient barley is a versatile cooking companion Our popular modern day grains derive from wild grasses that humans began cultivating and sel .. Read more
- Have GMO crops lived up to the hype?The 2nd article in the series: 7 reasons to choose organic – an in-depth look at the issue of .. Read more
- Here’s why you’re better off without pesticidesThis is the 1st article in the series: “7 reasons to choose organic – an in-depth look a .. Read more
- The Easiest Sponge Recipe using Cake FlourGuest post by Tania Cusack from My Kitchen Stories Sponge is such a fresh light cake for all seasons .. Read more
- The Nutritional Benefits of WholegrainsFor a food to be described as wholegrain it should contain all the essential parts and naturally-occ .. Read more
- Last-minute Turkey StuffingAre you one of those people who always has your Christmas feast well organised weeks before Christma .. Read more