Barley is a versatile low GI cereal grain with a rich nutlike flavour. It resembles wheat berries, although slightly lighter in colour.
Barley is a gluten containing grain and some healthcare practitioners consider it should be eliminated along with wheat, oats and rye for those on gluten-free diets.
Barley is an excellent source manganese & molybdenum (60 grms of the dry hulled grain provides 60% of the daily recommended intake). It is high in selenium, dietary fibre & vitamin B1. It also contains copper, which assists with healthy bones, joints and blood vessels, and phosphorus, essential for cell-membranes and nervous system structures.
Barley has the highest fibre content of the whole-grains. Insoluble fibre boosts intestinal health by providing bulk for regularity, and food for your friendly gut microbes in the large intestine. This collection of microbes known as our microbiome is essential for human development, immunity and nutrition. They help to digest our food, regulate our immune system, protect against other disease-causing bacteria, and produce several vitamins including B vitamins.
- Mung Bean MagicI couldn’t resist a title like that – even though many people may consider mung beans a .. Read more
- Chickpeas – so much more than a one-hit wonder!Of all the legumes, chick peas are the tastiest, and they adapt to variety of dishes. You can tell t .. Read more
- Ancient barley is a versatile cooking companion Our popular modern day grains derive from wild grasses that humans began cultivating and sel .. Read more
- Have GMO crops lived up to the hype?The 2nd article in the series: 7 reasons to choose organic – an in-depth look at the issue of .. Read more
- Here’s why you’re better off without pesticidesThis is the 1st article in the series: “7 reasons to choose organic – an in-depth look a .. Read more
- The Easiest Sponge Recipe using Cake FlourGuest post by Tania Cusack from My Kitchen Stories Sponge is such a fresh light cake for all seasons .. Read more
- The Nutritional Benefits of WholegrainsFor a food to be described as wholegrain it should contain all the essential parts and naturally-occ .. Read more
- Last-minute Turkey StuffingAre you one of those people who always has your Christmas feast well organised weeks before Christma .. Read more