1 loaf uncut bread, crusts removed, sliced into 3 cm thick slices ( approx 8-9)
1¼ cups of Kialla Organic Original Pancake mix ( 175 gm)
500ml- 1 litre plain oil ( 4 cups)
1 cup caster sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Paper to drain the doughnuts
1. Put the oil into the pot or fry pan and set aside
2. Prepare a tray with draining paper and mix the cinnamon and sugar together on a flat plate and set aside.
3. Cut the slices of bread with the large cutter. It will be almost to the crusts in diameter, then cut out the hole in the centre. Try not to squash the bread too much. Cut lightly.
4. Pour the pancake mix into a bowl and mix in the 300 ml of milk.
5. Turn the oil onto medium high. While waiting for it to warm put 4- 5 of the bread circles into the batter turning over to coat and let them soak up the mix.
6. Test the heat of the oil by dropping in a doughnut hole off cuts dipped in batter. The oil should bubble but not brown the doughnut too quickly.
7. When the oil is a good temperature add the doughnuts one at a time, up to 3 at a time. Turn with tongues or chopsticks when they are bubbling and brown on one side.
8. Take out of the oil and drain on paper for 30 seconds before turning over well and coating with cinnamon sugar.
9. Finish the next batch, draining and dipping in sugar and then eat while warm.